Chair a Session
Would you like to participate in the Conference on Statistical Practice? Here’s your chance–volunteer to be a session chair in Portland, Oregon, this February!
The conference steering committee is seeking session chairs for a limited number of sessions at the 2018 conference. Session topics span the following four broad themes:
- Communication, Collaboration, and Career Development
- Data Modeling and Analysis
- Big Data and Data Science
- Software, Programming, and Data Visualization
Session chairs serve as the main contact for the session with ASA staff and a session ambassador for the steering committee. Session chairs are responsible for the following:
- Reviewing presentations for length and visibility and discussing concerns with the ambassador from the steering committee.
- Encouraging speakers to upload their presentations in advance.
- Checking the program and serving as the main contact for the session with ASA staff in case any changes need to be made (e.g., reordering of speakers within session, withdrawing a speaker, etc.).
- Ensuring speakers are on time and present for the session.
- Introducing the speakers at the beginning of the session.
- Making sure each speaker begins/ends at the time allotted.
- Facilitating Q&A discussion after each presentation, including preparing questions in advance to spark discussion.
- Encouraging attendees to fill out the online evaluation form.
If you are interested, please contact email@example.com by October 26, 2017 . Include your name and organization and indicate your preferred theme in the body of the message.
Note that requests are first come, first served, and your response does not guarantee your acceptance or your preferred theme.